Nearly 1,000 good reasons
8/9/2019, 6 a.m.
• Pittsburgh: 11 killed, 6 wounded. Oct. 27, 2018
Gunman Robert Bowers, 46, a truck driver with a history of posting anti-Semitic material on social media, walked into the Tree of Life Synagogue in the city’s Squirrel Hill neighborhood and opened fire. He had an assault rifle and three handguns. He was shot and killed by police.
• Annapolis, Md.: 5 killed, 2 wounded. June 28, 2018 Gunman Jarrod W. Ramos, 38, who had harassed journalists at the Capital Gazette newspaper in Annapolis for publishing a story about him that he didn’t like, burst into the publication’s offices and opened fire with a 12-gauge shotgun. Police took him into custody.
• Santa Fe, Texas: 10 killed, 13 wounded. May 18, 2018
Gunman Dimitrios Pagourtzis, a 17-year-old junior, walked into the high school in this Houston suburb and opened fire on students with a shotgun and .38-caliber revolver he’d taken from his father. He surrendered to police.
• Parkland, Fla.: 17 killed, at least 12 wounded. Feb. 14, 2018
Gunman Nikolas Cruz, 19, had been expelled from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, but returned to the campus with a semiautomatic rifle and began a rampage killing students and staff. He was taken into custody by police.
• Sutherland Springs, Texas: 26 killed, 20 wounded. Nov. 5, 2017
Gunman Patrick Kelley, 26, an Air Force veteran with a history of domestic violence, killed 26 worshippers at First Baptist Church in the rural suburb of San Antonio. He was armed with an AR 15-style assault rifle. After being shot in the leg by one of the church members ,he fled and later turned the gun on himself and died. His military court martial for domestic abuse was never put in the FBI database by the military, allowing him to pass a background check and buy guns.
• Las Vegas: 58 killed, more than 500 wounded. Oct. 1, 2017
Gunman Stephen Paddock, 64, a real estate investor who once worked for the IRS, took aim from a room on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino on the Las Vegas strip and opened fire on a concert crowd below at the Route 91 Harvest music festival. He was found dead in the hotel room by a SWAT team. Investigators found a cache of 23 weapons in his hotel room, including 14 firearms that had been modified with bump stocks to allow him to shoot more rounds in less time.